Friday 19 September 2014

Needlelace

As I mentioned in my Around the World blog hop post, I'm starting a new Needlelace class tomorrow. This is an extension class for those who have completed the first class. I certainly went to all the lessons for the first class, but sadly I still haven't finished my sampler. The good news is that I did pick it up this week and started working on it again - more on that later.

First, and more excitingly, is the piece I'm going to start tomorrow. This was what we had to do before the first lesson:



This is called 'preparing the grid'. I did this by carefully marking out the box and stitching rows of four sided stitch around it.


I then did a row of satin stitch inside the four sided stitch. Next I marked out the threads that were to remain, and then I started cutting very, very carefully.




I left 4 threads at each of the marked points.



Then I wrapped the threads with an over and under motion, being careful not to overwrap them and leave them distorted (although some of mine are a little bit).

Wrapped bars
So I'm already to start tomorrow. The picture below is what we are aiming to create. We'll see how that goes!



As for the piece I started two years ago. I have made a little bit of progress this week. I had to remember how to do Corded Brussels stitch and picots, but I'll probably need them tomorrow so it was a good refresher.  Here is is now:


a small bit of progress has been made on the left hand side


This was how I left it two years ago



So some progress has been made and I'm ready for tomorrow.



12 comments:

Sarah Goer Quilts said...

Seeing these process pictures is great. Awesome work!

Oops-Lah said...

Wow, that looks complicated. Not for the faint hearten and the poor of sight either. Have fun tomorrow at class. Looking forward to seeing what the next step is.

margaret said...

wow you are a talented lady, such beautiful work and I know the next project will be beautiful too. Your first piece is beautifully stitched and fingers crossed we will see if completed soon

Wendy said...

This is going to be amazing, I'm really looking forward to watching you work through this pattern.

HeathersSewingRoom said...

This looks like you need serious concentration! You are true inspiration of someone having determination and lots of patience. I hope you enjoy your classes.

Helen@Till We Quilt Again said...

Simply Amazing! Is another name for this "Hardanger"?. My grand and great grandmother use to always do this when I was younger.

Lin's Quilts said...

This is just beautiful and I'll be very interested in seeing the progression.

Granny Maud's Girl said...

Eek! And I thought I liked small and fiddly projects! This takes the cake!
I am not familiar with needle lace, so it is interesting to learn about something new.

One Wee Bird said...

Holy Balls Wendy that is complicated, intricate and amazing! You must have the patience of a Saint!!!

One Wee Bird said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Outstanding Wendy, I so look forward to reading your posts about this class as I just love this technique. Have fun. Rae.

Carol Q said...

I am so looking forward to seeing this!