Tuesday 7 October 2014

WOW





We have a wonderful show going on in Wellington at the moment called The World of Wearable Art (WOW). It's an event that draws amazing entries from all around the world. Fashion designers and artists spend months and months coming up with the most amazing designs.


2013 Supreme Runner Up - "Chica under glass" by Peter Wakeman of New Zealand.
 Made of fibreglass and plywood

The shortlisted entries are showcased in a two hour extravaganza of music, lighting, dancing and colour. This year there were 166 entries in the show. Many women from through out New Zealand come to see the show which runs for three weeks. The shoe shops in Wellington do amazing business during this time, because what's a few nights away with a new pair of shoes to show for it?


2009 Supreme winner by David Walker of USA - "Lady of the Wood" made from plywood

I've been fortunate enough to go to WOW twice before - I'd like to go every year but tickets aren't cheap. Some of the designs from previous years are now on display in Wellington. Here's a few that caught my eye.

This is all made from zips!

"E.T. Buddha" by Tushar Koche of India





imagine sewing all those zips together


The patterns on the leggings and flip flops are made from the tags on the ends of zips

This is all carved wood in William Morris style




Gothic Habit was Supreme Award Runner Up this year. 


Here's a link to a short video that shows some of the previous years entries.

If you're ever thinking of attend the show, sign up for emails so you will be notified when tickets go on sale. It sells out quite quickly. And let me know you are coming - I could always go again.


4 comments:

margaret said...

I don`t think I have ever seen anything like these outfits before, truly amazing but not sure who or if anyone would ever wear them!!! The cost of making them must be enormous, such a good show to see.

Helen@Till We Quilt Again said...

All I can say is WOW! I can see why you like to attend. I am so intrigued by the zip outfit and it is amazing this models can even stand up! Thanks for sharing.

Katrina said...

Hi Wendy, thanks for sharing these wonderful photos - I've not been to WOW myself, maybe in 2015? :)

Granny Maud's Girl said...

It is like sci-fi! I think I like the pink dress as I suspect it would give me the illusion of having a bosom instead of an ironing-board chest. I wonder if the wearer can sit.