Saturday 1 April 2017

Soy Amado Quilts - the finished quilt

Back in January I showed you the Quilt As You Go (QAYG) blocks I'd made to send to Alison in Guernsey.  As soon as she got them she dropped everything and combined them with Carla's blocks to make a great quilt!


This quilt will now be sent to an orphange in South Africa and a little child will receive their very own quilt for their bed.  You can see photos of some of the children with their quilts on Alison's blog, Little Island Quilting.


Carla of Granny Maud's Girl made the yachts and planes blocks which add real interest to the quilt.  You can read more about her yachts here, and her planes here.  It was great to co-operate with a friend on this quilt because we could discuss the colours before we started.

I call Carla a friend, but we have never met in real life.  We met online, and we have continued to correspond online.  Unfortunately Carla lives in Perth, Australia, which isn't exactly one of those places you pass through on your way to somewhere else.  My best hope of meeting her is to meet up in Melbourne one day, because it's about half way between Wellington and Perth.


I made the background blocks and used up some of my large stash of blue fabric.

If you'd like to make some blocks for Alison, please read her blog here for directions.  The good news is that there are no rules about colour or style - the only rule is that they must be quilted and measure 12.5" square.   You don't need to make 20 because Alison can combine your blocks with those from other people.



Thank you to Carla and Alison for making this quilt possible.  I really do hope it makes a little child happy, and maybe even inspires them to become a pilot or a sailor.























You can read my earlier blog post about my blocks here.


8 comments:

Małgorzata Kreft said...

I like it so much :)

Oops-Lah said...

I too love how this quilt turned out. What a great way sharing the making of a quilt with a friend and make a child happy! Well done Wendy. xx

Heide said...

I love the planes and boats and water/sky fabric. Turned out great...going to make a boy very happy!

margaret said...

your blocks work so well with Carla`s a lovely quilt. Do hope you will be able to meet up one day

Sue Wild said...

Lovely quilt and nice that it's really a boy's quilt. I like seeing Alison's photos of Soy Amado quilts taking in the sights of Guernsey. It'll be well travelled by the time it reaches South Africa!

grammajudyb said...

I like this quilt! Such interesting blocks mixed in with the planes and boats. Well done, both of you!

Granny Maud's Girl said...

Perth really is not on the way anywhere, is it, my friend? One day our paths will cross, I am sure. :)
The speed Alison sewed up our blocks was amazing!

Sarah said...

The two sets of blocks look great together. I think who ever receives it will be thrilled!