Sunday 5 November 2017

Auckland Festival of Quilts - 2017

On Friday I went to the Auckland Festival of Quilts with my mum, Joy, and my friend from Wellington, Anne.  We had a good time and were very impressed with all the beautiful quilts on display.

Here are some of my favourites:

Firstly my mum, standing next to her la passacaglia.  It was entered as "Exhibition Only" because it was finished in 2016, so not eligible for prizes.  Mum couldn't enter it last year because it was away in Houston as part of the Quiltmania la passacaglia exhibition. Lots of people said it looked lovely, so that was very nice for mum. It's all English paper pieced and hand quilted.


Next was mum's other quilt in the show, her Summer Garden, made from Karen Tripp's Mischief pattern.  Again, it's all English paper pieced and hand quilted.


Some other quilts that I liked:










These dragonflies were my favourite quilt in the show.  They just shimmered in the light.



I met plenty of quitly friends while I was at the show.  Some of them have blogged about the show too so you can see photos of the quilts they liked here:
Sue Flego - Susanna Quilts and a second post here
Julie - Julie Lou

11 comments:

Julierose said...

What lovely quilts; your Mum's is just gorgeous...all hand pieced and hand quilted--that is amazing...thanks for sharing your tour...hugs, Julierose

Kunzfrau said...

Was für sagenhafte Quilts du da zeigst. Ich bin begeistert. Da können sich die Ausstellungen in Deutschland nur verstecken!

Gruß Marion

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

This has been a veritable feast to the eyes. Thank you so much, I don’t get to shows often and I so appreciate you sharing your pics. Your Mum is very talented, her quilts are beautiful, so much work

Crafting for Shoeboxes said...

Your Mum's quilts are beautiful - she's a talented lady

Linda said...

Please congratulate your Mum for the two beautiful quilts she had exhibited at the Auckland Show. They look amazing! You photographed some great quilts - Dance of Dragonflies particularly appeals to me.

Lilpuddin said...

Your Mom's quilts are stunning! The two of you make such gorgeous quilts!

Sue said...

Your Mums quilt was lovely Wendy. We have a similar taste, as alot of your photos were on my blog. I never got to take any more photos on Sunday, so nice to see you had some different ones. :-)

Julie said...

Was lovely to catch up with you and your Mum. Your Mum's were beautiful, a lot of work in both of them. I loved the dragonfly quilt, forgot yo take a photo though. Thanks for linking to my blog too.

Kyle said...

Your mom is so talented. Must be a strong family trait.

mangozz said...

I love your mum's quilts, especially Summer Garden. I've never seen that design before. Beautiful use of color. You are lucky to have a mother who shares your love of quilting.

CathyQuilts said...

Lovely quilts all!
I've seen plenty made with the pattern from quilt 804, but this one just sings! It looks 3 dimensional and that quilting lines give it a satiny appearance, just wow!
Your mom is quite the talented quilter too, I've not yet had the nerve to do la passacaglia